We accidentally lose our essential data from the hard disk by pressing the delete key. Sometimes a software bug or virus may also corrupt your hard drive. At this point, data recovery software is in use.
You can select options which are free and paid by your requirements. We have collected a list of the best free data recovery software in order to answer your query and to help you make informed choices while deleted your files, taking into account factors such as whether the software can recover RAW, Unallocated, Corrupt or Formatted hard disk, their ability to recover from different filesystems such as FAT, FAT32, HFS, NTFS, etc. See some of the best data recovery software for lost information.
Most of the instruments mentioned here for hard disk and recovery are not very hard to use, and everyone with fundamental computer functional understanding can use them to recover lost information. Let all the hypotheses remain, therefore, that it is a very technical task. Let’s start from this list:
It is no wonder that Recuva is at the top of the best software for data recovery. This data recovery instrument can recover files from hard drives, DVDs or CDs, memory cards, and external disks. There are tons of free file recovery software accessible, but few of them are near to Recuva for hard drive and photo recovery activities. This is done by looking for unreferenced information. It is known that the lost directory structure is retrieved, and during information retrieval, two papers of the same name are renamed.
Some of the features that top Recuva’s Best Recovery Software list are:
- Superior file recovery.
- Advanced deep scanning mode.
- Secure overwrite feature that uses standard industry & military deletion techniques.
- Ability to retrieve files from damaged or fresh formatted papers.
- Facilitated user interface screen preview before final recovery.
- Free / Inexpensive information retrieval software.
- Works with FAT and NTFS schemes.
#2 Test Disk
A list of the most elegant data recovery software can hardly be called complete without mentioning TestDisk recovery software. It is an open-source software created to recover lost partitions and fix non-boot disks. TestDisk offers many characteristics and file recovery systems for novices and experts who can readily ignore all other data recovery software. This free data recovery program tries to define partitions and file entries automatically. Of course, a more in-depth scan for deleted/damaged partitions will take more time.
Here are some of TestDisk’s features:
- Recovers / reconstructs the user boot sector.
- Correct or retrieve the deleted partition table.
- Undelete files from file systems like FAT, ExFAT, NTFS, and ext2.
TestDisk hard drive recovery tools may not be suitable as a command-line instrument for some data recovery users. If you are a GUI supporter, I recommend you go to Recuva or Stellar for file retrieval.
#3 Stellar Data Recovery Tool
Stellar Data Recovery does an excellent job to recover your information from your Windows PC and Mac by living up to its name. If you have chosen to delete the most recent files, the Stellar Data Recovery instrument is here to help you. Stellar has several other home and corporate applications tools too, but we’ll concentrate on image, USB and hard drive recovery software here.
Here are some of Stellar Data Recovery’s features:
- The risk-free program retrieves data from different types of storage devices, like memory cards, smartphones, USB devices, hard drives, etc.
- It’s simple to use.
- Complete with advanced features and fast drive file recovery.
- In-app preview of files, available to beginners and non-technical users before final recovery is performed.
- Try the feature before you purchase it.
#4 Undelete 360
The Undelete 360 is built on a fast yet efficient algorithm that enables users to undelete files with the appearance of a typical Microsoft Office application, thanks to a ribbon-style toolbar and a blue color background.
Here are some of Undelete 360’s features:
- Works on many devices, including digital cameras, memory cards, smartphones, computer hard drives, USBs, etc.
- It includes a data-wiping tool.
- Comes with the ability to preview files with a Hex Viewer before recovery.
- Recover files like DOC, HTML, AVI, MP3, JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
However, scanning velocity needs to be improved considerably, and this device also lags behind its data recovery competition. The tool’s small setup size is a plus in this software recovery race.
PhotoRec is undoubtedly one of the best data retrieval software for its robust file recovery through a broad spectrum of appliances, from digital cameras to hard drives. It is specially designed to retrieve data from hard drives, CD-ROMs, pictures, videos, documents, etc.
Here are some of the characteristics of PhotoRec:
- It comes with the ability to retrieve more than 440 different file formats.
- Features like the’ unformat function’ and the ability to add your custom file types are beneficial.
- This photo recovery software supports many file systems such as FAT, NTFS, exFAT, ext2/ext3/ext4, and HFS+.
Although I would not suggest a beginner to use this free data recovery software because it is entirely free of a GUI and uses a command-line interface that some users may intimidate.
#6 Panda Recovery
Pandora recovery is one of the most reliable and effective free data recovery software out there. Pandora’s retrieval instrument has a lot to offer its clients.
Here are some of the Panda Recovery features:
- Ability to retrieve documents deleted from NTFS and FAT-formatted records.
- View some types of documents (image and text files) deleted without recovery.
- It packages a lot of surface scanning (which allows you to retrieve data from formatted disks) and the ability to find archived, disguised, encrypted and compressed files.
- Its interface is straightforward to access and provides a scout-like view along with percentages for color coding and restoration.
However, its file detection system is not so reliable and needs to be improved further. This significant data recovery software can also be developed portable so that it does not eat space on the hard disk and does not consume space that once consumes a file we want to restore.
#7 MiniTool Power Data Recovery
Standard undelete programs like Recuva, Pandora, etc. are perfect for recovering a few deleted files, but what if you have lost a partition as a whole? Then you probably need a professional application like MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
Here are some of MiniTool Power Data Recovery features:
- A straightforward wizard-based interface.
- Specializes in information retrieval on an entire partition.
- Point MiniTool Partition Recovery tool and scan for the missing card partition.
- It produces a recovery report to let you understand what the program found to help you retrieve data.
- Can’t use a bootable disk here for recovering data.
#8 Wise Data Recovery
The wise data recovery tool is one of the fastest undelete tools in data recovery software. It comes with some attractive features and is more rapid.
Here is a list of its features:
- A simple and intuitive interface.
- It is possible to retrieve files from local disks, USB drives, cameras, memory cards, removable media devices, etc.
- Faster filter searches by selecting integrated file extension groups using the file type.
- Windows XP Windows 8 compatible.
Wise data recovery device is quick to conduct file scans during the retrieval stage, but it was better to use a deep scan mode. A portable data retrieval software version of Wise is also available, so you don’t have to install it.
#9 Puran File Recovery
The recovery of Puran files works in 3 main recovery techniques. These retrieval techniques are:
- Default Quick Scan (reads FAT or NTFS for deleted recycled document) Deep Scan (with scanning of any available free space)
- Full Scan (considers every space of the computer for best recycling opportunities)
- Works Windows XP to Windows 10.
Using the “Find lost files” option, Puran File Recovery becomes a tool for recovering all lost or damaged files from a partition. Another thing you can do is edit the custom scan list which stores file signatures for more correctly recovering significantly damaged data.
#10 PC Inspector File recovery
PC Inspector File Recovery works well both in FAT and NTFS disks, even if the boot sector has been deleted or damaged. Here are some of the features of this retrieval tool:
- An accessible search dialog can help to locate documents by name.
- Recovered files can be restored on a local hard drive or network drive.
- Available in multiple formats, like ARJ, AVI, BMP, DCD, DXF, XLS, EXE, GIF, HLP, HTML, JPG, LZH, MID, MOV, MP3, PDF, PNG, RTF, TAR, TIF, WAV, and ZIP.
- With the Cluster scanner, you can thoroughly scan specific areas of the drive from Windows XP to Windows 7.
I would suggest to all our readers Piriform’s Recuva data recovery program. Recuva is undeniably one of the best free information retrieval tools with superior file retrieval, advanced deep scanning mode, secure overwriting with conventional industry and military deletion techniques and the ability to retrieve files from damaged or neatly formatted documents. One of its characteristics is its portability (the ability to function without installation).
A file recovery wizard and application manual mode for the disposal that provides color codings (indicating the chance of a file recovery) with the ability to preview files before undeleting is available on the User Interface of this free tool. Recuva’s data recovery solution is definitely the most complete and trustworthy free data recovery software available today.
Why do we lose our information?
Just as people say, things happen. You may end up losing your data for many reasons. It could be your own carelessness, accidental deletion, buggy updates, malware attacks, etc. Stop what you’re doing just when you know you’ve lost something. Whenever you delete a document, your computer only marks the space on your hard drive for rewriting. You decrease the probability of your records overwriting by computing as little as a don.
Is software for data recovery efficient?
Of course, no software can provide 100% retrieval of data. However, by choosing the right tool like Recuva, you can enhance your chance of recovering data. If you have the opportunity not to overwrite the data, your odds of regeneration will grow even more. Trying to find the real cause of deletion also promotes the whole exercise.
How old do I recover files with a software?
As mentioned above, a file recovery program can only recover documents that were not overwritten on your storage device. It is, therefore, advisable to attempt to recover to increase your chances as soon as possible.
How does the retrieval of information work?
Any file “deleted” from your disk remains in it until another file replaces it. This concept is used by the file recovery software and looks for different information that can help them to find the exact location of the specified file. Therefore, when you understand that the data is lost and you need to restore it, you suggest that you stop any operation or save new details on your desktop.
How can a data recovery company be selected?
Here are some points and features to remember when you proceed and choose the best data recovery company for your purposes:
- Support for different file types.
- Preview file option before recovery.
- Regular updates and help.
- The user-friendly interface.
- Recovery of external media file choice.
- External storage and electronic file recovery media option.
How long will it take to recover data?
If any software tells you that it can recover any file in “X hours/minutes,” don’t let it fool you. The paid / free data retrieval technique relies on many factors such as hard drive size and speed, from which information can be undeleted. Many software demonstrates an estimate of the time remaining during the scan, which could give you a good idea of the moment of scanning and retrieval.